Located in the heart of Gaspé, La Maison William Wakeham draw lots of attention. Built around 1860, it has become a major part of our architectural patrimony. The ashes which embellish its yard and its cut-stone structure, the only one in Gaspésie give to it a noble look. The terrace with view on the mouth of the York River and on the Gaspé bay and its warm atmosphere inspire calm and relaxation.
We will add to this delightful place, with our courteous reception, our personalized service and our fine cuisine, all the professionalism required to make of your visit in La Maison William Wakeham one of your most memorable vacation.Please note that we now offer a free wireless high speed internet connection throughout the building.Reserve now
The complete history of La Maison William Wakeham, from these few stones to the raising of this majestic residence is quite complex. Therefore, we’ll only mention the major events that have mark this one.
As early as 1852, some documents reveal the existence of a house of stone on this location. However, the oral tradition attributes the construction of the whole complex to Commander Wakeham, who bought the property in 1880. He modified the place, back then called the One Ash, to give to it the style that makes its specificity.
Then, Wakeham who was also doctor, built his consulting room to the north of the main house, a huge glass-front greenhouse to the east and to the west, a polygon shaped high ceiling room that would become the music room.
Finally, Wakeham who liked to play billiards and to collect hunting trophies built to the east of the greenhouse a special room entirely dedicated to his interest which he called the sports room.
So, this is it for the construction of La Maison William Wakeham, which, from these few stones to this residence of the Commander Wakeham, distinguishes itself from the architectural tradition in Gaspésie, by its size and style.
But, it will only become a lodging place with its next owner, John Baker. So it’s around 1920 that the One Ash will become the One Ash Inn, third hotel of the Baker Empire.
The One Ash Inn literally go into history when, for example, we set up a little post office under its roof during the Second World War, and when we arranged the music room for the supposed coming of Elisabeth of England, room that we will called from now on the Queen’s room.
For all these reasons, the government of Quebec will officially recognize, in 1987, a historical value to the Ash Inn, which will therefore become a protected establishment, known under the name of La Maison William Wakeham.